Installing CFW (PUP) Files.
- Download glevand's latest CFW, depending on your firmware: http://gitbrew.org/~glevand/ps3/cfw/ (e.g.: http://gititbit.ch/341 || http://gititbit.ch/355).
- Rename file PS3UPDAT.PUP and place it on a USB drive located at /PS3/UPDATE/ (usb: /PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP)
- Plug the USB drive into the PS3.
- Enter recovery mode:
- Turn off your PS3
- Hold the power button until the PS3 turns on and then off.
- Hold down the power button until you hear two consecutive beeps.
- Run System Update
PS3UPDAT.PUP is NOT a typo.
Additional files (such as .pkg files) should be on the root of your USB drive.
Your drive must be formatted fat16 (fat32 will *not* work)
Additional troubleshooting can be accomplished through attempting to install the CFW within JIG mode.
- This creates a log file on the root of the attached thumb drive.
- Installation via this method requires the PUP file to be on the root of the drive, and 'NOT' within /PS3/UPDATE/
Verify your HDD has been partitioned correctly. On my FAT it took a few tries.